Visit our New Jersey Shore, Brielle website at:
Brielle NJ Brief History:
In 1664, when the area of present day Brielle was founded, it was a section of Shrewsbury Township, one of the original townships of Monmouth County. By the late 1600’s, Dutch and English settlers were arriving and pursuing trades in the agricultural fields. A modest ship building industry developed, as did related shipping activities.
It wasn’t until the second half of the 1800’s that Brielle started to develop as a “summer” destination. At this point, many summer cottages and hotels were being built along the Manasquan River. The most popular riverfront hotel was The Union House, established after the Civil War by Captain John Brown.
In 1881, a group of investors formed the Brielle Land Association. They purchased 150 acres of farmland between Debbie’s Creek and Mud Pond to be divided into lots for sale as vacation homes. One of the investors had a recent trip to Europe and suggested “Brielle” as a name for this area after Brielle, Holland. He thought the area resembled the coastal towns that dot Europe’s North Sea and English Channel. The area started to flourish as a resort.
In the early 19th Century, Shrewsbury Township was divided. The southern section became Howell Township. In 1851 it was divided again and Wall Township was created. Brielle was created from a section of Wall in 1919.
Over the years Brielle has grown into a residential community with many of it’s inhabitants commuting to careers in New York. Locally, the main industry is still tied to the waterfront. Brielle’s marinas host more than 200 commercial and charter fishing boats.
Although there is no ocean frontage in Brielle, visitors are only a quick drive or bike ride away from the beautiful beaches of Pt. Pleasant and Manasquan. Recreation lovers will enjoy the abundant fishing opportunities in Brielle, as well as its nationally renowned golf course.